I’ve been Keeking a lot lately about a project I started. It was something that I initially wanted to remain as ‘secret’ until a big unveiling with a YouTube video; laminating layer after layer of American lime from my offcuts stash, as the odd follower made their guess or suggestion as to what it might be. Two people were very close and in fact, it you were to halve each of their answers (bandsaw box and a turned bowl) and to bring two of those halves together, you would’ve come to the correct conclusion of a Bandsaw Bowl.
It was all going so well until I mounted it on a circle cutting jig last night. Now, this beech lump o’ lime looks like to find a space in one of my stocked up bags of firewood, ready for collection by someone… From somewhere.
Yesterday, I made a start on my side table and I’m still aiming to have this one complete by the end of the month. If you want any more detail on the build, I’ve started a thread on an all-new UK woodworking forum – The Wood Haven. I decided I would start by shaping the legs on my router table which, to me, makes cutting the mortises much easier. I’ve seen some pretty horrific accidents in my time on UKworkshop so, I’m always wary of performing “dangerous” operations like this – especially when your trimming cutter has 55mm of sharp blades! That’s why I made a simple modification to my leg templates, which should keep both hands and all my digits out of harm’s way:
This week at college, I’ve managed to get the English walnut seat carved out to a comfortable formation for my own bottom. While I spent the best part of both days (thirteen hours) on this, including endless amounts of sanding and applying a coat of oil, I have to say, carving a chair seat isn’t complicated at all. There are a few basic guidelines for getting started, that you may come across in a couple of woodworking books but, the most important thing is to check it regularly (literally – sitting down on the job!) and work evenly on both sides. I also borrowed a couple a travishers for this task as it’s really all you need for something like this.
With two July exhibitions looming and a stack of 2in ash left over at college, I’m currently at the design stage for a side table to go with the “Two Tone Throne” [or, chair!!] that I’ve been making this year. My chair will feature at both exhibitions although, as I’m paying a bit extra for the Inspire show (several days after Furnish) and each maker/artist is allowed to exhibit two pieces, I feel it makes sense to try and produce one other piece within the time I have left; something that won’t have been exhibited elsewhere.
Lately, I haven’t been able to spend much time online to update my blog (apologies for that). Though, I have been able to spend a good amount of time in the workshop (at least that’s something!) and I have continued making progress on the chair at college.
Recently, I was to make a mould for someone who is making a small bait boat. These moulds (two of them) are for the hulls, which need to be identical. Mt attempts at drawing this out “accurately” in SketchUp didn’t go as well as I’d hoped and I soon gave up on trying that… Having bought some 3in thick softwood and prepared the timber to finished size, I figured that the only way I’d be able to visualise the shape of the stern properly would be to start cutting some wood!
Despite the fact that I’ve again left you in the dark for the past month where progress on my chair is concerned [sorry!], my working pace feels like it has made a sharp shift in to second gear and things as things are really starting to move along now.