Mobile Base for a Table Saw

If you’re a subscriber to my YouTube channel then you may already be aware that I uploaded a brand-new video yesterday morning, featuring the mobile base I made for my site saw (Scheppach TKU) a few weeks ago.

I actually filmed all of this about four weeks ago but I’ve spent a lot of time since simply pondering over whether or not certain scenes are ‘good enough’; is my speech clear enough; would it be better for me to wait until I’ve tinkered with it a bit more before uploading the final edit…

In the end, I decided that it does display all that I need it to and I hope that you agree. Also, it had been several weeks since I last uploaded a new video and so, I really needed to get ‘something’ out there.

If you’d like to see the original video that inspired this design (and hence, why mine isn’t a ‘how-to‘ as such), then please follow the link below:

Retractable Landing Gear for My Table Saw

As always, comments, thoughts, opinions and feedback are always welcome.

Thank you and enjoy! 🙂

Change of Plan

Unfortunately, neither the title or subject of this post bear any relevance to my aim of ‘taking a break‘ from woodworking in 2013.

I mentioned the other day that I was also starting to work on a mobile base for my table saw (site saw). I had one idea in mind but, after more browsing of videos on YouTube I’ve come across my new favourite, before I do any more:

This one uses more wood (which I have plenty of) and less of the ply (which I don’t really have). I also like how it’s a simple foot-pedal operation, similar to the metal bases I’ve purchased in the past. One foot, one movement and one operation. No need to work with any metal (yuck) or to have to worry about activating it from each side.

I should be able to use my existing 2x2in frame. At worst, I might have to beef it up in two areas. I could add a plywood ‘pedal’ to the top of the timber and maybe cut a notch the the spring-piece, instead of a stopped groove. I’ll probably use 3in castors over 2in as they seem to roll better across uneven floors.

My weekend is otherwise vacant so, I should be able to find some time to work on this some more, as long as it’s not really cold. I was hoping do a bit of walking this weekend but, here in the south-west, there are still many ponds, lakes and rivers where there was only grass and mud before! It cannot drain away so, I don’t know where else or when it might go.

Starting at the Base

If I’m going to have to clear out my workshop at some point this year then, I’m going to need to ensure that all of my machines can be moved easily, even if they only end up going in to the back of someone else’s car or van. Most of my machinery is already catered for in that respect. My mortiser will need looking at (that’s got to be close to 200kg in weight) but first, I’m turning my attention to the Scheppach TKU Site Saw I was given a few months ago.

Mobile Base for the Site Saw.

As soon as we slid (and scraped) it inside the door, I wanted to come up with a design for a mobile base that would allow me to easily lock it in position for cutting. I struggled on my own and so, have procrastinated until now. It’s thanks to a YouTube video (which you can watch below) that I’ve found my inspiration for this one.

Continue reading “Starting at the Base”