Have I ever told you how much I hate the traditional style of fence panel? If not then, I’ll try not to drone on too much today. Let’s just that I’m ‘not a fan’ of the ‘cost-effective‘ design, where you’re over-relying a few nails and staples to hold a load of thin boards and stick-like battens together.
In my experience, the very first happens during the drier summer months, when this timber (a softwood) is allowed to rapidly expel the moisture it has gathered, causing its form to take all manner of shapes, along with a few splits, cracks and shakes. That’s all without mentioning the threat of wet rot, rising damp and, perhaps one of my biggest bugbears with ‘solid’ fence panelling; the wind effect.
After another early Friday finish at work, I’ve spent the afternoon lazing around at home, feeling the after effects of an unexpected, hard-hitting cold. My nose may have stopped and my throat is beginning to clear at last but, I’m still feeling quite dizzy in my head and a little weak elsewhere. Almost flu-like symptoms.
I’m also moving home on Monday and heading back to live in mum’s house, which is also very close to my workshop… I’ve already shifted a load of boxes to save a bit of time and, with all the floor space now available (at home, not in the workshop!!), I’ve found my attention drawn towards the arm chair I made at college, two-years ago now…
Why am I such a terrible procrastinator?! It’s been over three-months since I started this simple pine box for storing bathroom cleaning equipment yet, this is hardly the first instance in which I’ve been known to start one project and to then ignore it for many, many months (there’s still an unfinished fruit bowl in my workshop, somewhere!).
If I’m honest with myself, I really haven’t been in the mood to do any woodworking for a long time. It probably goes back to when I finished college (which I really enjoyed) two-years ago, and perhaps also the lack of reception following the two furniture exhibitions I was involved in that summer. I’m moving back to my mum’s in a couple of months (to save money, cut down on overtime hours and it’s also closer to the workshop) but, that’s only really a temporary measure until she sells up. At which point, I also expect to lose my workshop. I just cannot bear the thought of taking everything with me… Anywhere. Of course, I’ll hold on to all the hand and power tools that I can carry; it’s mostly the larger stuff that will have to go. I may just look at ‘down-sizing’ to working with power tools alone… Expect a further post on this nearer the time!
For now, I have reignited some desire within me to finish this bathroom box at least…
With the seat assembled and the bulk of the work on this repair job complete (ignoring the other seat, which suffered a similar fate to the first one, very recently), the last step before finishing was to create two new rails that would allow me to attach this new seat to the legs of the existing frame.
I didn’t have enough meranti left to do this but, I did have some iroko which is, in all fairness, likely to outlast the rest of the entire bench structure, if left untreated over the next few years! I used one of the original rails as a template to directly mark all the significant features on to the new wood (length, hole locations, mortise positions and the radiused ends).
Fear not – that title bears no relevance to my workbench!! 😉
A few years ago, my mum purchased this two-seater bench-and-table combination piece, probably from one of the many catalogues she keeps under the stairs… It’s made from some kind of dark or ‘red’ hardwood and although, at first glance, you may think this timber looks quite durable, a closer look at the slats on one of the seats tells a different story…