Just when I thought it was safe to stow away my claw hammer; the gale-force winds returned and I found myself faced with another fence panel repair and post to replace. I guess I forgot to knock on wood. It’s ironic that the lighting bolt would strike the same spot again, mere weeks after assuring myself that my time as a fence panel-repairer was over.
In case you don’t follow me on Keek, I’ll try to keep this brief… I got up on Sunday morning with a view to replacing the fence posts after repairing and reassembling the panel (as you saw in my previous post). For this, I would need a sledge hammer. Not owning one and knowing that, if I did buy one, I might not use it again for a very long time; I turned to Freecycle for some assistance, asking whether anyone might be inclined to lend me one for the weekend. No such offers came in, until I received an e-mail from a woman who offered me a head without a handle. As a woodorker though, that didn’t seem like much of a problem! 😉
That was my thinking when I collected the lump on Friday afternoon. By the time Sunday came around, I decided that I wanted to get the job done and headed to Toolstation to buy a handle (along with some other bits I needed) in an effort to save myself some time. That didn’t fit and I would end up making one from scratch, which did occupy my time until lunch.
There’s a video of this whole process below and, underneath that, you’ll find photos and details of another ‘agricultural’ tool that I made yesterday.
With a long weekend and clear skies forecast, I decided I would use this time to try and replace the fence panels that blew down sometime in, erm… February! That’s without mentioning the two fence posts that had each rotted away at ground level. It had seemed like a monstrous job; the kind that I detest, with my general hatred towards pathetic fence panel construction. Each morning I’ve driven to work, each evening I’ve come home; that gaping view on to the neighbour’s weathered decking had been haunting me for far too long. I was tired of tripping over the old panel remains just outside the workshop door. Something had to be done!