Continuing straight on from Saturday’s efforts in the previous post; Sunday began with the finalisation of a few areas in preparation for the final assembly and glue-up of the rear ‘fixed’ portion of the folding desk.
I wanted to cut away a portion of each ‘foot’ so that it would sit more comfortably on a level floor and, as luck would have it, my under-used 6in diameter Sander Sitter provided me with the perfect radius. I cut the waste away with a jigsaw and cleaned it up a bit on my bobbin sander.
Earlier this week, I did say that I was going to buy a sheet of 18mm MDF today for the floor-standing router table I was going to begin building this weekend…
Well, I haven’t been able to get as much done on the design-front and, until I’m more certain of the finished dimensions of some of the components, I’m a little cautious of ordering a sheet and having it cut to size – to fit in the back of my van and also, to make life a bit easier handling it at the workshop.
Still, I’d like to share where my design is in its current state, after a brief moment of play in Google SketchUp last night.
…Well, sort of! While I have been able to sit here typing and idly surfing the ‘net for as much as I would’ve liked over the past month, I have just about completed reorganising my workshop, which is only minutes away from my new home. It all started a few weeks ago, when I listed a tall shelving unit on eBay – and then, it sold, for £16! 😎
This left a pleasantly large void in front of the rear window but, don’t fret; I already had plans for what I was going to do with this space…
Having officially finished the suspended floor now, I’ve taken a little bit of time to film this short, ‘silent’ video-tour of my workshop in its current state, before I’ve really had a chance to start clearing off the shelves, removed the two floor-standing units and, generally, reshuffled everything around for better optimisation of my current space.
As you’ll see in the video, there’s still a lot of work to be done before I can get back to some proper woodwork again! Hopefully, most of this will have been resolved by the time I come to release a second video-tour, in a couple of weeks.
…Yes, there is a little irony in the title of the song playing on the radio! 😀
On and off for the past week, I’ve been discreetly working away on a small cabinet made from regular English oak and brown oak, with a curved front. That means both the drawer front and door will also have to be curved – not something I’ve done before! While I feel I’ve made very good progress already, I’m once again frustrated with myself for making a couple of basic errors.
Admittedly, I should have made this post several months ago, back when I first created this blog on WordPress. Little has changed within the last four-to-six months, to be honest. Though, I do intend to make this a regular ‘feature‘ of my blog; opening a new ‘tour‘ every six-months. This way (as a post), we can all look back and see how work has progressed, without having to over-write the previous content (which is what I’d probably have to do in creating a separate page).
Please keep all arms and legs inside the vehicle – hope you enjoy the tour!