It was probably a couple of months ago that I went out and bought myself a new bed frame. Replacing my old one (which was given to me in 2011 and second-hand at the time) is something I’d been thinking about and, while I had aspirations towards making my own frame, I’m still lacking the facilities and space for doing much in the way of woodworking.
This month, woodworkers from around the globe are participating in the now-annual 2×4 Challenge, as organised by Brian Gidney at Summers Woodworking. You’ve probably heard of this or something similar; the brief is to make something using one single length of 4x2in softwood, 8ft long. Entries are beginning to filter through, with the deadline now only a fortnight away. While I’m unable to participate myself this year, I would like to instead share the following video:
Before going too far, the woman’s name is Linn and not Darbin, which is actually the name of her dog and also her business. Her channel is one I’ve only very recently begun to follow after YouTube recommended it to me under their What to Watch page. I’d like to help to raise awareness of her channel because even though some of her videos are less-wood related, it’s distinct that she holds a great skill within the world of working with wood.
If I filter through the seemingly-endless list of channels I’m subscribed to, there are very few of whom I would declare ‘professional’ woodworkers. Please don’t get me wrong. There are some incredibly talented people out there, sharing their content without an asking price. Beside the obvious ones, there just doesn’t seem to be as many professionals sharing their wares and I look forward to seeing Linn’s channel develop.
At some point, I’ll expect you’ll also be able to visit Brian’s website and see a complete list of all video entries to the 2×4 contest. Best of luck to everyone who is taking part and thanks for reading!
Some of you might remember seen the ‘rustic’ wooden box I made back in July. I think it’s an item that was showcased on the social networks more so than right here on this blog but I’m writing now to let you know that a video of the process is now available to watch on YouTube.
It was a simple project and I’m pleased with how well it’s been received in the past week. What’s more, my subscriber total has now passed 1,500 and is fast on its way to 1,600! There has always been a temptation to create common ‘how-to‘ videos and projects that anyone can make but what I enjoy doing is to show you how I’ve made something; to show you how I operate within my own workshop and, if I can, to tell a bit of a story along the way – because these are the things I enjoy most in other people’s videos. I mean, I could make an end-grain cutting board with my eyes closed!! 😉
Thank you, everyone!! 🙂
Even though I scrapped the van for which this was built before Christmas, this is a box that has a home in the boot of my estate car.
Some of you may recall the making of my workbench back in 2009. It wasn’t until several months later that I decided to make a plywood unit beneath to house three wide drawers for the storage of hand tools and other pieces. In truth, I was never entirely happy with the setup and, each winter, the drawer sides and fronts would swell and it would be an effort to get to the tools I wanted to use. Over time, this has led to the ‘collapse’ of the previous drawer bases (cheap, distorted 6mm plywood).
A few weeks ago; I took a look at the materials I had available and decided to tackle this issue properly.
Just as I was getting dressed and ready to leave the house for work this morning, there was a knock on my bedroom door. Mum was eager to tell me that anotherfence panel had blown down overnight; narrowly missing her car and lying obtrusively on the drive. It wasn’t the panel I ‘repaired’ over the weekend – as I said then; that one’s never going to come out!! This one is as tall as it is wide.
These photos were taken in the daylight, after I arrived home from work a couple of hours ago, using my phone as well (8 megapixels, apparently… Although, I rarely bother to preset the white balance). All I did in the darkness was to pick up all the loose stuff and to dump it infront of the workshop.
I’ve been back in my mum’s house for over a month now but, some of my old habits from living alone still remain with me. For example, my clothes storage ‘system’ leaves a lot to be desired…
‘Worn’ clothes (but, not ‘dirty’ enough to pile in to the washing machine – it must be a man thing!) tend to hang around until I feel they’re ready to be cleaned. I have a set of work clothes that I’ll wear for five-days and, each night, I like to have something comfortable that I can easily change in to without having to sort through my wardrobe and drawers. But, this clothes end up all over the place – on top of the drawers, on the back of my chair and, even though I recently bought in a canvas unit to try and help with the situation, I need something more.
In an effort to get myself in to the workshop, I’ve started brainstorming some ideas on solutions I could make…
Even though I finished the folding desk last week, I’d like to go back briefly in this post and look at a few areas that I haven’t already included. This was partly because I feared that my posts would become too long but actually, it had more to do with the fact that these photos which were ‘cut’ from the final edit were actually taken on my old camera, which leaves images in a different folder to my new camera’s recordings, on the SD card.