It must have been three, if not four, weeks since I officially completed this tote-style box for the window shelf or cill in my bathroom… So many other things have been getting in the way of my woodworking and even keeping this blog up together… It’s kind of ironic that I make this post only a week before I begin packing everything up, ready to move back to my mum’s for a few months! That’s something else that’s really stressing me at the moment, as it now looks as though I’ll have to do most of the moving and cleaning all in the same day!
I’ll start this one off with a reminder of how the shelf space has looked for far too long now…
Continue reading “Box Joints and Bathrooms”
After recently installing this aluminium plate in to my newly-built router table, I’m now able to look back and review it; analysing its features and my impression of this product at this early stage.
Continue reading “Axminster Aluminium Insert Plate”
As I’m sure you’ve guessed simply from reading the title of this post, the third instalment of the Picket Planters series is now live on YouTube. Now, it’s time to get busy doing some “more interesting” work on this project. You get to see the jigs I made to do the round-topping and how the Supertuff blades from Tuff Saws perform.
In retrospect, I do wish I’d filmed a longer scene for each of the two round-topping sections (that’s the pickets and also the posts). I can see now how it might appear to be quite ‘short-lived’, with only one cut recorded for each operation. It comes across as very brief, in contrast to the rest of the video, I think. Especially when I wanted this to be the main focal point of this episode… 🙄
We live and learn and learn is always the latter!
Part 4, once it’s ready, will show you how I came to assemble these planters – and, with the larger one of the two in particular, it wasn’t easy with the low roof I fitted earlier this year!
Thanks for watching!
If you’re a follower or reader of my Twitter feed then, you’ll probably have noticed that I’ve had some problems with YouTube recently. I have no idea what caused this (or, the cure) but, for a good week or so, I couldn’t get any of the pages to load. Now that the situation has improved, I’ve been able to catch up with some of the many videos waiting for me in my Subscriptions feed; one of which shows yet another method for producing your own dowels:
Matthias Wandel is what you might call a “wood engineer“. If you haven’t seen his website before then, have a look at WoodGears.ca. He’s got lots of interesting ideas on working with wood.
Continue reading "Making Your Own Dowels"
How long has it been since I built my current pillar drill table for the machine I purchased back in September?!?
This is not good form! While the bitter-cold weather receded some time ago, I’ve only just managed to finish and install the fence for my five-month-old table…
Continue reading “Pillar Drill Fence”
Up until the sharp drop in temperatures around here recently, I was discreetly working away on a new table for my Axminster ED16B pillar drill. It’s surprising how long it had taken to get to the stage you can see in the first photo, below… Working only two-days each week due to work and other commitments, I reckon it took the best part of three-weeks to get this far – and, I’ve still got some work to do on the fence!
Step inside and I’ll show you some of the main features of this design so far, while also explaining my reasoning behind them.
Continue reading “Pillar Drill Table”
Having recently improved the efficiency of dust extraction on my router table after following Steve Maskery’s suggestion, I’ve since managed to go that one extra step further by ‘modifying’ the door to allow access for the hose, while containing all that noise and any dust that manages to escape underneath.
Being 6mm thick acrylic, the clear panel in the door on my router table was dead easy to drill, even with a 50mm forstner fitted in my pillar drill. That gave plenty of clearance for the hose but, for the nozzle on the end, I had to enlarge the opening by another 2mm using my bobbin sander – what a mess the melted plastic made of the abrasive sleeve!
Dead simple and quite effective. Another option would be to connect the hose through a hole located either in the back or one of the sides of the cabinet.
Thanks for reading.
Until recently, my router table regularly looked like this inside, on a regular basis:
If the insides of your table are constantly in a similar state (cutting grooves with a straight cutter being the main cause of all this mess) then, I’d recommend you take a look at Steve Maskery’s latest video, below; in which, Steve reveals his latest workshop tip for more efficient extraction when the waste cannot reach the extraction port in the rear of your fence.
If the video doesn’t load or work correctly for you on this site, please try this link to YouTube. While you’re opening a new tab or window, I’d also recommend a visit to Steve’s Workshop Essentials site, certainly if you haven’t visited before. This tip also features briefly on Steve’s latest DVD [Volume 6: The Ultimate Bandsaw Tenon Jig – also recommended!!]
Continue reading “Router Table Extraction Mod.”