Some of you may recall the making of my workbench back in 2009. It wasn’t until several months later that I decided to make a plywood unit beneath to house three wide drawers for the storage of hand tools and other pieces. In truth, I was never entirely happy with the setup and, each winter, the drawer sides and fronts would swell and it would be an effort to get to the tools I wanted to use. Over time, this has led to the ‘collapse’ of the previous drawer bases (cheap, distorted 6mm plywood).
A few weeks ago; I took a look at the materials I had available and decided to tackle this issue properly.
Winter often seems to bring an welcome measure of wet weather to the UK and this season so far has been no exception. We had dry days in the autumn but the summer was a near-complete washout. All this rain adds moisture to the air and this can wreak havoc with any timber features of our homes and the need for them to function smoothly.
Doors and windows mostly but, today, I want to focus on the tongue and groove gate I made in 2011.