Table Saw/Router Table Station – Complete!

Sometimes, I intend to write a post but, for one reason or another, it takes me a while to actually get around to writing it up and publishing it on this site. This ‘station’ was completed several weeks ago and, in that time, I’ve made numerous attempts to sell it, with a couple of potential buyers very interested at the moment. I made it with the intention that I’d be able to use it and further my woodworking but, that’s not practical in my current workshop, when I have much more of a need to use the other machines in close proximity.

Continuing on from where we last left off, here follows the conclusion to the build…

Continue reading “Table Saw/Router Table Station – Complete!”

Dual Dust Hoppers

With the main cabinet done and both table saw and router table sat in their respective positions, I next needed to look at installing my dust hopper-style system below each machine to contain and collect any stray sawdust and chips. There’s only 100mm between the shelf and underside of the top so, I didn’t have much room to play with – certainly, not enough for a ‘conventional’ hopper; a steep-sided construction with a hole in the centre. I spent a couple of days trying to mentally visualise a solution without getting anywhere but in to a world of frustration. It wasn’t until I sat down Friday morning and played with Google SketchUp for a half-hour or so, that I came up with the following:

To keep the sides as steep as possible (which encourages dust to slide down in to the port), I would have to place the extraction port at one end of the construction. It may not be as effective but, I really do believe it’s the best that I could have done.

Continue reading “Dual Dust Hoppers”

Fitting the Next Router Table

With the plywood cabinet assembly complete, I could next look at installing my router table. Simply fitting my existing benchtop table (made about three-years ago) wouldn’t have worked. For starters, I’d have had to reduce its height by a few inches. One of the flaws in its design is that I wasn’t left with much arm room in which to fiddle with the collet when changing cutters. That’s why I decided to make a new unit (keeping the old top!) from 18mm MDF; most of which was salvaged from my previous table saw stand – if I hadn’t glued those joints though, it would’ve been much easier getting it all apart…

I decided I would try and use my extended table saw for some of these rips; mainly, because I couldn’t be bothered to get my saw horses out, setup the cutting table and also to mess around with the circular saw and guide again! These components weren’t as big as the plywood I was cutting before and, with the PK200’s fence G-cramped to one of my temporary width supports, I was able to make cuts as wide as 600mm and slightly more (not that I quite needed to cut such a width).

Continue reading “Fitting the Next Router Table”

Building the TS/RT Station

I’ve been off work for the past week (using up some, but not all, of my outstanding holiday) and, last weekend, after buying a sheet of 18mm ply on the Friday, I decided I would try to make the most of these five-days with some time in the workshop, constructing the base cabinet for my table saw/router table station. At the time of writing this, I have most of the work done but, there’s still much to do and I feel that I could’ve organised my time and made better progress (ie. finishing the whole thing earlier in the week).

Working with two half-sheets (4ft x 4ft) was quite easy, especially once setup on my knock-down cutting table on my saw horses. I don’t know how I ever managed without one before! One the larger cuts were made (for the base and both sides), I could bring the leftovers in to the workshop and make the narrower rips on my table saw.

Continue reading “Building the TS/RT Station”

Plywood Purchase

After leaving work on Friday afternoon, I picked up a sheet of 18mm WBP exterior plywood from a local timber merchant (Staddons). Before I had this van, I used to ask them to cut a full-sheet in to quarters (each approximately 4ft x 2ft), so that I could easily get it in to the back of my car. Now though, I can easily fit two half sheets (4ft x 4ft) in with room for plenty more!

In case you haven’t picked up on this from one of my previous posts, this plywood will be used to build the new cabinet for my table saw/router table station in the coming week, as I happened to have some spare holiday time from work, which has to be used up before the end of the year.

Continue reading “Plywood Purchase”