On Thursday, I took an afternoon off work to receive delivery of an 8ft x 6ft tongue-and-groove shed. This’ll be used for self-storage of items that are currently cluttering my home so, I’m more than happy to spend an initial outlay, as opposed to endlessly paying monthly rental fees at a large warehouse chain. I’m fortunate enough to have been granted a space away from my own home on which to erect this small garden building.
In this post, I’ll document the process of building a sturdy sub-base for the shed to sit on. I’ll emphasise now that this was designed with the word temporary in mind (there’s every chance it could have to move in a couple of years). If you plan on building a base for your decking, you may also find this very interesting.
Some of you may recall that I had to replace a rotten fence post last spring, repairing the breeze-battered panel in the process. That’s been bringing a lot of traffic to my site recently, which my come as know surprise to you, if you live in the UK and you’ve had to experience some of the recent natural forces. I had to do the same again last weekend but on the opposite fence and so, I thought I’d write about that as well, because there are some differences.
With a long weekend and clear skies forecast, I decided I would use this time to try and replace the fence panels that blew down sometime in, erm… February! That’s without mentioning the two fence posts that had each rotted away at ground level. It had seemed like a monstrous job; the kind that I detest, with my general hatred towards pathetic fence panel construction. Each morning I’ve driven to work, each evening I’ve come home; that gaping view on to the neighbour’s weathered decking had been haunting me for far too long. I was tired of tripping over the old panel remains just outside the workshop door. Something had to be done!
My poor, lonely workshop. I haven’t been able to make much use of it recently, even with the three-day Bank Holiday weekend that’s just passed. Still, in an effort to clear some more excess wood from inside, I have been making some progress on a tongue and groove gate I promised I’d make and fit for my mother, erm, over a year ago… 😳
As I’m sure you’ve guessed simply from reading the title of this post, the third instalment of the Picket Planters series is now live on YouTube. Now, it’s time to get busy doing some “more interesting” work on this project. You get to see the jigs I made to do the round-topping and how the Supertuff blades from Tuff Saws perform.
In retrospect, I do wish I’d filmed a longer scene for each of the two round-topping sections (that’s the pickets and also the posts). I can see now how it might appear to be quite ‘short-lived’, with only one cut recorded for each operation. It comes across as very brief, in contrast to the rest of the video, I think. Especially when I wanted this to be the main focal point of this episode… 🙄
We live and learn and learn is always the latter!
Part 4, once it’s ready, will show you how I came to assemble these planters – and, with the larger one of the two in particular, it wasn’t easy with the low roof I fitted earlier this year!
I know it’s wrong of me to begin uploading another series before officially ending the previous one (I still haven’t filmed the final scene for the Kitchen Towel Stand project) but, I’d like to get the first two videos on the planters I’ve been making online fairly quickly. There’s a lot of machining covered in these first two parts and I know that may not be of as much interest to everyone as the later scenes.
Part 1 is also a great advert for the Supertuff Fastcut blades available from Tuff Saws in the UK. I’m aiming to get Part 2 ready in the next couple of days and will let you know as soon as it’s online.