With the lippings attached and flushed off with a combination of router and belt sander, I was ready to start doing further work to the top as Saturday came.
What I needed to do next was to creating a recess for the aluminium insert plate and an opening for the router to fit in to. This may look like something that’s difficult to achieve but, I aim to show you a method I like that’s easy and very effective in providing you with a neat end result.
Yesterday, I made a start on my side table and I’m still aiming to have this one complete by the end of the month. If you want any more detail on the build, I’ve started a thread on an all-new UK woodworking forum – The Wood Haven. I decided I would start by shaping the legs on my router table which, to me, makes cutting the mortises much easier. I’ve seen some pretty horrific accidents in my time on UKworkshop so, I’m always wary of performing “dangerous” operations like this – especially when your trimming cutter has 55mm of sharp blades! That’s why I made a simple modification to my leg templates, which should keep both hands and all my digits out of harm’s way:
Recently, I was to make a mould for someone who is making a small bait boat. These moulds (two of them) are for the hulls, which need to be identical. Mt attempts at drawing this out “accurately” in SketchUp didn’t go as well as I’d hoped and I soon gave up on trying that… Having bought some 3in thick softwood and prepared the timber to finished size, I figured that the only way I’d be able to visualise the shape of the stern properly would be to start cutting some wood!