Some of you may recall the making of my workbench back in 2009. It wasn’t until several months later that I decided to make a plywood unit beneath to house three wide drawers for the storage of hand tools and other pieces. In truth, I was never entirely happy with the setup and, each winter, the drawer sides and fronts would swell and it would be an effort to get to the tools I wanted to use. Over time, this has led to the ‘collapse’ of the previous drawer bases (cheap, distorted 6mm plywood).
A few weeks ago; I took a look at the materials I had available and decided to tackle this issue properly.
Last week, I officially moved in to my new home [away from the workshop!] – and that’s no April Fools joke! All this moving around and finishing off all the niggling jobs around the house that weren’t completed have left me with the bare minimal of time to spend back at my ‘real‘ home, in the workshop. Before all this chaos started though, I did at least manage to knock together a simple storage rack for sheet materials, with a few spare hours spread out across one weekend. Yes, the workshop improvements are very much still on-going!
Over the weekend, I got around to finishing a couple of jigs for my bandsaw; both of which are based on examples you can find in the volumes 4 and 5 (‘The Compleat Bandsaw‘) of Steve Maskery’s Workshop Essentials series.