After moving in to a smaller flat last year, I quickly realised that I didn’t have the space for two of my Ikea Ivar shelving units. One was sold locally and, although I managed to squeeze the other in to the bathroom cupboard space, I soon decided that it was excessively deep and warranted downsizing. With that second Ivar unit sold, I had the funds available to purchase something more compact; again from Ikea, I went for the Hejne shelving unit.
It was probably a couple of months ago that I went out and bought myself a new bed frame. Replacing my old one (which was given to me in 2011 and second-hand at the time) is something I’d been thinking about and, while I had aspirations towards making my own frame, I’m still lacking the facilities and space for doing much in the way of woodworking.
So, it was with another trip to Ikea that I would come away with the Neiden double bed frame.
This may come as news to a lot of readers, as I don’t think I’ve mentioned it previously, but my mum and sister decided to welcome a new puppy in to their lives, a few weeks before Christmas.
His name is Billy and he’s a ‘Morkie’ (Maltese/Yorkshire Terrier-cross). Mum was asking about a temporary fence to cordon off the shared driveway. Because they live in rented accommodation as well, this needed to be a freestanding option.
I took some measurements, browsed around online and eventually came up with the following.
Somehow, it’s been almost four complete months since I posted Part 2… It was in the following month (September) that I was able to complete the finishing touches to the shed and get the overdue finished photos (albeit, captured on my smart phone).
In this post, we’ll go over those final additions as the project draws to a close.
Today marks the six-year anniversary of this blog. It’s developed and re-developed quite a bit in that time and I’m grateful to those of you who have been following from the very beginning, along with everyone who has joined more recently. I will always write for as long as you are willing to read. 🙂
So, after constructing the base in two-hours on Friday afternoon; I decided to press on and see how far I could get building the shed itself, before the growl of my stomach became all too consuming and lured me away.
On Thursday, I took an afternoon off work to receive delivery of an 8ft x 6ft tongue-and-groove shed. This’ll be used for self-storage of items that are currently cluttering my home so, I’m more than happy to spend an initial outlay, as opposed to endlessly paying monthly rental fees at a large warehouse chain. I’m fortunate enough to have been granted a space away from my own home on which to erect this small garden building.
In this post, I’ll document the process of building a sturdy sub-base for the shed to sit on. I’ll emphasise now that this was designed with the word temporary in mind (there’s every chance it could have to move in a couple of years). If you plan on building a base for your decking, you may also find this very interesting.
It’s almost official now that I’ll be moving home sometime within the next month. This past week, I’ve found a flat that is affordable and it’s enough for my needs. There’s still the issue over workshop contents and self storage to be encountered but, with winter only weeks away, a quiet period is often expected at this time of year. The only difference now is that I won’t be ‘awakening’ from hibernation in the spring. I can look back on 2013 as a positive year. By far, it’s been more productive than either of the last two years and my following on YouTube has increased by more than 300% – I do intend to keep my presence active on that channel but I’ll delve in to that another time.
Now, my attention turns to furnishing my next home.