Last weekend, in only an hour or so, I built myself a dead-simple softwood stand for my newly-acquired Axminster CT150 6in Planer/Jointer. There’s not much to its construction or design but, it serves its purpose well. It’s made from scraps of 44mm square softwood that I happened to have although, as there was some variation in the thickness between lengths, my first step was to run two adjacent sides of each through my thicknesser.
Those folks at Titebond were serious when they came up with the brand name for their range of adhesives. I made the mistake this winter of leaving all of my glues out in the workshop, where they were exposed to all the harsh frosts and sub-zero temperatures that we experienced (even as recently as last week, let us not forget). As I’ve slowly found my way back in to my workshop recently, I needed examine each glue bottle carefully to ascertain which ones, if any, were still perfectly good to use…
Part 5 in my Picket Planters video series was uploaded to YouTube yesterday evening. I’ve dubbed it as the ‘penultimate’ episode in this particular playlist but, it may turn out to be the final video, as I realised (shortly after uploading) that I’ve mis-placed (perhaps, even, deleted) the final scenes of footage I recorded about two-months ago… 😳
All the ‘exciting’ stuff will have been witnessed, by the time you’ve finished watching this latest instalment so, you’re not missing out on much in the practical sense, at least, if this does end up being the last in the series. There’s only one scene that I can recall and that was basically me talking about the painted finish I had decided to go with – if the worst comes to it, I could always summarise that in an additional blog post, should the missing video footage not re-emerged (I have checked both of my SD cards).
As always, if you cannot get the video to load here for you on WordPress, please try clicking this link, which will take you directly to YouTube.
Comments are always welcome. I was actually quite pleased with this one. Alright, so I’m still about as vocal as a doormouse but, I thought that the animations and transitions between scenes worked very well…
With any luck, I’ll have another (more concise!) video series starting in a couple of weeks and, I’m also looking to round-off the long-forgotten Towel Stand Project in the near future… 😳
Thanks for reading and for watching.
With the seat assembled and the bulk of the work on this repair job complete (ignoring the other seat, which suffered a similar fate to the first one, very recently), the last step before finishing was to create two new rails that would allow me to attach this new seat to the legs of the existing frame.
I didn’t have enough meranti left to do this but, I did have some iroko which is, in all fairness, likely to outlast the rest of the entire bench structure, if left untreated over the next few years! I used one of the original rails as a template to directly mark all the significant features on to the new wood (length, hole locations, mortise positions and the radiused ends).
Having cut and cleaned out all the mortises in my previous session working on this bench, my next job was to cut the tenons on each end of the seven slats. With relatively small components like this, I like to use my faithful router sled to gauge the thickness by making a single pass across each face.
Fear not – that title bears no relevance to my workbench!! 😉
A few years ago, my mum purchased this two-seater bench-and-table combination piece, probably from one of the many catalogues she keeps under the stairs… It’s made from some kind of dark or ‘red’ hardwood and although, at first glance, you may think this timber looks quite durable, a closer look at the slats on one of the seats tells a different story…