With many thanks to the administrator, Jonathan Rubinstien, I received an e-mail notification several weeks ago that a home-made blade-setting jig I’d created has also been featured on the HomemadeTools.net encyclopedia.
Having viewed the potential-workshop a few days ago now, I’ve taken the weekend to step back and decide that I will be going for it – just in case there was ever any doubt! 😉
Things are still yet to be signed, dotted and paid for as I write this but I remain confident regardless. In this post, I’ll be highlighting a few things I’ve since noticed and looking ahead to what will need to be done.
There’s a very good chance that I have found myself a new workshop. Less than two-years after departing the first one alongside my mother’s home.
Some of you may’ve already seen this photo on social media – for those of you who haven’t, I’d just like to say that it is not my photo. But the previous tenant clearly did a bit of woodworking themselves.
March suddenly seems very very close and I’m concerned that the progress with my workshop clearout and decluttering may not reach the stage at which I am hoping for by then… To give you all a bit of an update though, I thought I’d share a few previously-unmentioned items that I, as of last week, decided I am going to add to the ever-growing ‘For Sale’ list.
If you’d like a price on something, please find a way to contact me, whether that’s by leaving a comment here, by e-mailing me directly or through social media.
We’re already halfway through February and I reckon I’ve got about 6 weeks left before my workshop needs to be empty. Over this weekend, I believe I may have secured a space in which to store (not use) my larger tools and machinery, along with my workbench. There are still two of three items that I intend to sell. On Friday afternoon, I had a good crack at sorting through some more of the unnecessary clutter.
It was made official that my mum has now sold her house. It’s not bad going, considering it’d barely been on the market for two months but I’m now facing an ultimatum that I’ve been trying to avoid, even though it’s presence has been looming for a while… I need to start clearing out my workshop and I’m no longer talking about simply decluttering the unnecessary and the under-used…
I wasn’t intending to have anything other than a lie-in on Saturday morning but when someone was willing to pay for and collect my lathe at 9am, I knew I had to be there on-time. Early, in fact!
It happened so fast that I didn’t even take the time to capture a final photo (with the disc sander removed from the equation). So, you’ll have to accept the current setup as above; with a pair of sawhorses providing a place of rest for the old Hegner.
If you’ve ever tried to connect a vacuum to your portable power tools, you’re likely to have come across one (if not several) where the supplied nozzle at the end of the hose doesn’t even come close to fitting snugly in to the tool’s outlet. Some people will resort to using masking tape or scraps of PVC pipe; worse still (and I’ve been guilty of this many times) is where people decide to neglect the use of dust extraction and then proceed to cut, plane, rout or sand away with fine particles filling their workshops!
On Friday, while I was waiting for the glue to dry on a pair of chess boards (more on the perils of gluing end-grain to end-grain another time), I decided to have a go at making an attachment that would connect my vacuum to my random orbital sander. As you can see above; it works and I got the idea initially from (I think) Chris Pine over on Keek (@cpine).
You basically take two small squares of plywood, drilling one hole in each. In one block, you have a hole sized to take the nozzle from the vacuum; the other is drilled to fit over your tool’s outlet or port. Then, these two blocks are carefully glued together and I rounded the corners off to make it aesthetically pleasing.
It’s a custom solution that doesn’t cost a lot but might ensure you never run out of masking tape. You may still need to manufacture one ‘fitting’ for each of your tools but, if it means you’re more likely to use dust extraction then it’s worth it.
Thanks for reading and I hope you’ve found this tip useful.