Some of you may recall that I had to replace a rotten fence post last spring, repairing the breeze-battered panel in the process. That’s been bringing a lot of traffic to my site recently, which my come as know surprise to you, if you live in the UK and you’ve had to experience some of the recent natural forces. I had to do the same again last weekend but on the opposite fence and so, I thought I’d write about that as well, because there are some differences.
Last weekend’s time in the workshop felt very similar to the weekend before, where I basically made a table enclosure, in to which a chest freezer could be tucked safely away. This time though, it was all about preparing myself for another workshop project that’s just over the horizon – for which, I’ll need to safely support and cut down some sheets of 18mm plywood…
It all started with with these scraps of ex. 7x2in treated pine; left overs from the ceiling joists I installed earlier this year. And, just like the Saturday before, most of my time was spent cutting notches out on my sliding compound mitre saw.
Last Sunday, I took a drive in to Bristol to collected a job-lot of 3x3in treated, sawn timber that was being advertised on one of the local sites. There were thirty-two lengths in total, each one measuring just under 4ft in length (given the untreated ends, it looks as though they were 2.4m lengths, cut in half). This same advert also appeared on eBay and the seller was asking for £40 for the lot. That is a very good deal, considering that you’d normally expect to spend £3 or £4 per length for 4ft 3x3in posts brand-new today. So, you can imagine how good I felt when he accepted my cash offer of £30… 😎
Last week, I officially moved in to my new home [away from the workshop!] – and that’s no April Fools joke! All this moving around and finishing off all the niggling jobs around the house that weren’t completed have left me with the bare minimal of time to spend back at my ‘real‘ home, in the workshop. Before all this chaos started though, I did at least manage to knock together a simple storage rack for sheet materials, with a few spare hours spread out across one weekend. Yes, the workshop improvements are very much still on-going!
After fighting with a bad cold for the previous week, I finally got back in the workshop today to finish fitting the floorboards of my latest workshop ‘accessory’.
In order to strengthen any floor; to prevent the joists from moving and also to reduce any risk of the floor sagging, it’s important to add at least one series of noggings (note the third, silent G!). In many cases, as with my floor, only one set of noggings down the centreline of the new floor is required. Where a floor covers a greater span though, it may be required that you have an additional two lines of noggings.
With the 7x2in joists all cut to length, ends re-sealed and ready to fall in to place, my next job was to set out the positioning and spacings for each of the sixteen hangers (eight on either side) and then, to fit them in to place. Below, you can see a mock-up of what I needed to achieve, where the joist must sit 32mm (1¼in) higher than the wall plates, in order to clear the existing truss-frame by a good 5mm, which had already begun to deflect where I’ve previously used it, in appropriately, to store goods (it’s only 4in/100mm deep and is riddled with woodworm, you see).