Another tip from “the mind of Maskery” for you, today! 😉
These cheap (<£6) vacuum bags; designed for the compressed storage of clothes and other compactable household items; provide an affordable alternative to producing laminated pieces and veneered panels, for those of us without the funds spare to splash on an AirPress kit, for example. This tip was originally featured in one of Steve’s [dubbed “The Jig” in the current issue] many British Woodworking articles, a few months ago, where he used such a bag as a ‘press’ to veneer some MDF panels.
It’s been almost a month since my last update on this topic so, without further ado, here is a series of finished photographs I took earlier this afternoon. They’ve also been doctored slightly… If you haven’t already noticed, I’ve been doing this regularly with my photos for the last couple of months. The program I’ve been using is Photoscape, which just so happened to be the top result presented by Google when I searched “free photo editing software“! 😉
It may not be Photoshop but, it’s good enough for me.
In part one, you saw how the box was constructed and the ‘minor‘ flaw, which effected the outcome on a larger scale. Now, I’d like to take a look at creating the veneered panels, assembling the box and finishing.
Since the last update on the side table I’m building, I’ve got to the position now where the frame is all glued up and I’m now well in to working on the quartered walnut-veneered top. While I’ve kept my progress posts updated regularly on a couple of UK woodworking forums, I do apologise for not keeping you guys better informed here, on my blog – it’s just that, I’ve learnt so much from the forums over the years that I feel like I almost ‘owe’ them something in return… Sorting through my images and typing all that text can take a good hour, after which, there aren’t always enough hours in the day to start blogging (it is World Cup season, after all!! 😀 …No, as an Englishman, I probably shouldn’t be smiling, at this point!).
With one-week left to go on my course at college, I’ve almost exhausted the allocated twenty-six hours allocated to work on this wall cabinet and yet, I’ve still got the doors to fit and hang. If all had gone as according to plan, I probably would’ve had it all finished by now, but for Thursday, which was a pretty horrendous day for making mistakes…
Back on the curved-front cabinet, I’m now focusing my attention on cracking that elusive curved door, with the raised and fielded panel. While it may appear almost impossible at first glance, I have figured out a way of doing it (with a little help from UKW! ;-)) that should work rather well. Trouble is, all this jig-making is very time-consuming and the cost of such a small subject appears to be escalating…
With two July exhibitions looming and a stack of 2in ash left over at college, I’m currently at the design stage for a side table to go with the “Two Tone Throne” [or, chair!!] that I’ve been making this year. My chair will feature at both exhibitions although, as I’m paying a bit extra for the Inspire show (several days after Furnish) and each maker/artist is allowed to exhibit two pieces, I feel it makes sense to try and produce one other piece within the time I have left; something that won’t have been exhibited elsewhere.
Despite the fact that I’ve again left you in the dark for the past month where progress on my chair is concerned [sorry!], my working pace feels like it has made a sharp shift in to second gear and things as things are really starting to move along now.