Another little job to accompany the installation of my pot-hanging rack on Saturday.
It does look as though the main cause of the rot that spread throughout our bathroom floor came from the toilet cistern, which is boxed in and seemed to be forever sweating litres upon gallons of water. After fitting the new floor, we lifted the lid to find condensation was still running and forming around the outside. Insulation is a popular solution to this, with the internet throwing up the suggest to lag around the inside with either an old gym or exercise mat or, good old expanding foam.
All along, I’ve felt as though ventilation (drilling a hole through the exterior wall and fitting a vent) would fix this. My dad’s solution was to throw a towel over the cistern and to ‘insulate’ it that way… Although the situation eased at first, it didn’t go away.
I’ve just sat down to write this, having spent an hour out in the workshop this evening – after work and in temperatures that are barely anywhere above freezing!
You see, I was watching another YouTube video from the Ultimate Handyman last week where he shows you how to fit simple, cheap louvre vents to an up-and-over garage door. My workshop’s always been in need of further ventilation since I draft-proofed the door and there is an ominous smell of ‘damp’ each time I’m out there. I don’t currently own a diamond core bit to drill the walls and I liked that you can fit these higher up the door which, in my mind, means you’re less likely to get frozen toes… I could be wrong!
Either way, it might help to pass some fresh air up in to the roof space for the time being and I decided to just get this done and to have a go and hopefully get back out there to do some proper woodwork very soon.
First, I hope that you all had a lovely day yesterday and that you also have plans for the rest of the week.
Somehow, in my last post, I managed to bypass the topic of DIY and home repairs. Mum is looking to sell her house in 2013 but, there is a lot of work that needs to be done before she could confidently place it on the market. It’s certainly a subject that could find a space on this blog so, I’m going to start by focusing on what needs doing in the bathroom. All comments, thoughts and suggestions will be welcomed.
Let’s start this evening off with two snippets of good news, heading in to the weekend…
First – I’ve been back in the workshop today!! 😀
Second – I spent the first few minutes filming a brand-new video tour of my workshop, a good year or so after the previous film! Many things have changed since then and, looking back, I can see several areas that I forgot to highlight while filming (you’ll find a link to this video further on in this post).
Now, for the news that’s not so good…
Since draft-proofing the up-and-over garage door in December, not only does it appear to have improved the working conditions of my workshop in winter but, I’m facing a constant battle with the dreaded rust, with all the cold weather we’ve had lately. To some, this may not sound unusual. In which case, I should point out that, in the five-years that I’ve [almost!] been able to call this garage ‘my own‘, I have never known a situation quite as bad as this. Read On…