Shortly before Christmas, I completed the renovation of saturated shower walls in my bathroom. You’ve possibly already seen the blog posts (if not then, please click here for Part 1) but if you’re in to your YouTube and have an hour to spare(!), you might be interested in witnessing the video footage I compiled at the same time.
If you’d prefer to watch all-four videos over on YouTube then please click here to be taken directly to the playlist. But please do not that my videos are not instructional any more than they are far from perfect… I share these merely to inspire others to tackle their own DIY issues and to show you how I approach a situation.
Thank you for reading and thank you for watching.
Thanks must also go to people who’ve offered support. In this respect, my greatest thanks go to James Mason of Our Build for exchanging a number of e-mails after an initial connection on Twitter. Beyond that, I found numerous videos from DIY Doctor and Ultimate Handyman to be extremely helpful and informative. These guys each have their own channels on YouTube as well. Please do take a look as their content is entirely free!
This is something I’ve been working on for a couple of weeks now – that is to say, that I started it a fortnight ago and, although I’ve not been working on it solidly or with any kind of routine, the work is still very much in progress.
After creating an agreement with my landlord, I’ve begun to look at the cause of the damp patch that has slowly grown beside the shower in my bathroom and to move forward with the rectification of this problem.
A few weeks ago, I received a package from Bristol Water, who kindly make available a selection of FREE items to their customers which can be fitted to improve water efficiency within your home (I believe you can order them from their website although I did mine through the post).
As you can see above; I received one item that fits to a tap, another that goes inside the toilet cistern and a third which economises on the water flow of your shower.
After four months of frequent to my mother’s home, with black bags full of my dirty laundry; I jumped in and bought myself a washer/dryer this week. I’ve taken that extra step closer towards independence. For the very first time, I own a washing machine and this post is going to involve my initial impressions and remarks from its first use.
Today’s walk is about a pre-Christmas stroll around a tiny Wiltshire village that I’d not previously heard of. Even now, I have trouble remembering its name and frequently have to remind myself with a psychological prompt of the word ‘murder’… That’s possibly because I walked through another area called Murder Combe last summer because today I’m going to take you on a tour of Slaughterford. I hope you bought a waterproof coat and wellies!
It does look as though the main cause of the rot that spread throughout our bathroom floor came from the toiletcistern, which is boxed in and seemed to be forever sweating litres upon gallons of water. After fitting the new floor, we lifted the lid to find condensation was still running and forming around the outside. Insulation is a popular solution to this, with the internet throwing up the suggest to lag around the inside with either an old gym or exercise mat or, good old expanding foam.
All along, I’ve felt as though ventilation (drilling a hole through the exterior wall and fitting a vent) would fix this. My dad’s solution was to throw a towel over the cistern and to ‘insulate’ it that way… Although the situation eased at first, it didn’t go away.
During Day 2 of the bathroom floor refurb, I was actually elsewhere, amidst the wind, rain and snow of the Cotswolds! My dad had a little bit of work left to do in fitting the last panel for the floor, before adding the vinyl tiles and sorting out the plumbing.
Going back in time around 16 hours; you can see one of the old joists running out from under the floor supporting the bath…