Almost every night at this time of the year, my single-glazed windows invite the warm-air molecules to stay awhile as the temperature outside begins to plummet. In short, this leads to condensation.
With wooden windows (particularly those of which are neglected from regular maintenance), condensation can lead to a case of wet rot as this water runs down the glass and is absorbed by the horizontal surfaces. Regular maintenance (painting, putty, etc.) can prevent this but it won’t stop the condensation from forming.
Work on my mum’s bathroom floor began late on Saturday morning. I was waiting longer than expected for my dad to arrive with the necessary materials that would never fit inside my own van. Plus, he has all the plumbing tools that I do not. I think the best way to start this one of would be to show you the state of the floor, once we’d removed, boxed and binned the majority of the tiles and timber…
…Now that you’re eyes have returned to their sockets; I hope you’re able to see that each of the joists was rotten; far worse than I’d expected! The guy who did the boiler took a quick peak and told us as much a day earlier. I was sceptical and didn’t honestly look closely enough during my own inspection. That joist one in from the external wall (with the soil pipe) disintegrated under the weight of my father’s feet as he wrestled to free the toilet from its holding.
I’ve post-dated the time for this post to appear live on my blog, just in case any of you fellow Brits were concerned about my sleeping patterns! Not long ago, I posted a couple of photos to Twitter, which should give you some idea of what I’m going to share with you now… These were also taken with my smart phone.
I’d just finished my shower, I was dressed and, as I gathered my things ready to leave the bathroom, I suddenly found my right foot down and amongst the foundations of our house!!
Just as I was getting dressed and ready to leave the house for work this morning, there was a knock on my bedroom door. Mum was eager to tell me that anotherfence panel had blown down overnight; narrowly missing her car and lying obtrusively on the drive. It wasn’t the panel I ‘repaired’ over the weekend – as I said then; that one’s never going to come out!! This one is as tall as it is wide.
These photos were taken in the daylight, after I arrived home from work a couple of hours ago, using my phone as well (8 megapixels, apparently… Although, I rarely bother to preset the white balance). All I did in the darkness was to pick up all the loose stuff and to dump it infront of the workshop.
I aim to do a little more on the router table, later today. Provided that my new bandsaw blades arrive in time and, of course, that I don’t get talked in to doing some other DIY-type job! 😛 It looks like it might rain today though… 😉 I won’t have much time (if any) to work on it tomorrow but I’m already looking ahead to what will probably be my first project once the new table has been built.
Mum’s been asking again about these French Doors. I tried to patch them up and repaint them a year ago but, they’ve been in such a state for a few years now that I pretty much gave up part way through; deciding that they were, quite literally, beyond repair.
So, it’ll up to me to make some new frames and buy the double glazed units to fit. I don’t like to put too much pressure on myself but, ideally, I will get these finished in time for her birthday in the beginning of July…! 😯
If you were to go back to the final part in my Making a T&G Gate series, you would see that I made a reference to the state of the door frame surrounding the garage I also like to refer to as ‘my workshop‘. Wet rot clearly set in some time ago. It’s hard to say why though, on this occasion. It could simply be a case of neglect and an overall lack of maintenance (the paint, which must have been applied over eight-years ago, is crumbling off all round). Or, it could have been that moisture found its way up in to the end-grain of the timber with rising damp.
Either way, it was time to do some more work outside of the workshop…
Until I recently started finally building a garden gate for my mother [more on that to follow!], which involves working with timbers 7ft or 2.1m long, the folding sawhorses I made last year had spent the past five-months living outside my current home. You see, when I moved in, there was still some work to be done (boxing in, etc.) and I needed something to work on. Even after I finished, I got so used to not tripping over them in my workshop that I decided to leave them outside until I’d made some space inside the workshop… As you can probably guess, that never quite happened!
Over the weekend, I made further progress on the bench seat repair and started by preparing all my previously sawn stock down to finished dimensions.
When I’m working with timber that’s been at least partially sawn on a circular saw, which leaves a much cleaner finish than most bandsaw blades, I find it helpful to scribble over the sawn faces to void confusion later. Unless your planer knives are razor-sharp, it can sometimes be tricky to distinguish the prepared face and edge from the two other surfaces… On a few occasions, yes, I have made the mistake of referencing off the wrong face and edges when feeding stock through a thicknesser! 😳