Following on from the video highlighted in my previous post; let’s now take a closer look at the repairs I made to the hardwood serving tray.
Having viewed the potential-workshop a few days ago now, I’ve taken the weekend to step back and decide that I will be going for it – just in case there was ever any doubt! 😉
Things are still yet to be signed, dotted and paid for as I write this but I remain confident regardless. In this post, I’ll be highlighting a few things I’ve since noticed and looking ahead to what will need to be done.
There’s a very good chance that I have found myself a new workshop. Less than two-years after departing the first one alongside my mother’s home.
Some of you may’ve already seen this photo on social media – for those of you who haven’t, I’d just like to say that it is not my photo. But the previous tenant clearly did a bit of woodworking themselves.
It should come as no surprise to many people that I have talents and abilities when it comes to working with wood. I appreciate there are still likely to be more-recent followers to this blog who aren’t aware of this site and its inception. But for my training as a carpenter and furniture maker, these skills are only fractionally utilised in what I do on a day to day basis.
Still, if I was to shift from my current role in to something different then, looking at things on paper (in particular, my CV and qualifications), it would make the most sense for me to return to one of the woodworking trades.
Today, in the woodworking world, it’s the annual fund-raising, Cancer-fighting charity build. Take a look on YouTube and you’ll find (from my reckoning) more than 20 people who’ve already supported this cause by uploading videos of the projects they’ve been working on. Below, I’m going to share with you three of my favourites – although that’s not to imply that I’m even halfway through my Watch Later list!
To learn about the cause and its origins, please head over to The Wood Whisperer’s site.
My latest YouTube video made it to the internet over the weekend and I’m pleased to say that, for the first time in 3 months, it’s a proper woodworking video and not something I knocked together in my flat (although, there are still more of those to come).
However, I was a little dismayed to realise, through the process of editing my footage, that I made this batch of marking gauges back in MARCH of last year… I was quite certain I did this towards the end of summer/early autumn… But seeing as that I didn’t move in to this flat until November, there’s a good chance therefore that I’ll have a few more videos from the workshop on their way in to your subscription feed gradually between now and Christmas. 😉
To give a brief bit of background as to why I made these gauges; well, I’d only ever owned one single gauge (made by Marples) up until this point and when I started my current job over 3 years ago, a need arose to have one in box my toolboxes at work and also at home. But I was reluctant to spend £15-20 on another (in fact, the one I had is made of beech and perhaps only £5-10). So, I took a long term ambition and made my own!
If you watch this video over on YouTube then I’d be grateful if you could give me a thumbs up (click Like) and also if you wouldn’t mind subscribing to my channel, if you haven’t done so already – I’m almost up to 2,000 subscribers and I’d love to break that milestone fairly soon.
Thanks for watching! There will always be something more to follow!
If you’re subscribed to my YouTube channel then you’ll already know that I recently uploaded a video on the making of my magnetic knife block from last year. If you’ve noticed this upload appear twice in your subscription feed then it’s because I have re-uploaded the same video – in the first edition, I was made aware (by several viewers who left comments) that there was an issue with the narration running out of sync and beyond the end of the video footage; prolonging the length with an additional minute of black screen.
This has been corrected in the second upload. I’d like to leave the original video in its place because it’s already received a number of interactions. What I realised was that I made a mistake in recording and positioning the segments of narration before a final edit of the individual scenes – let that be a lesson to any other YouTubers or video-uploaders out there! It seems as though the strips of narration are not attached to the video timeline and so, as that shifts, the audio remains where it was.
So, from now on, this is the kind of schedule I’ll be following when editing a video for uploading. It is a lengthy process and I like to save as many individual versions of the video in as many states as you see listed below:
1. Initial edit and trimming of scenes.
2. Adding transitions between scenes.
3. Playing through the video to check and increasing the play-speed of any scenes where appropriate.
4. Recording and adding the narration.
5. Adjusting the sound levels between scenes and narration before a final check and then, the uploading!
Thanks for reading and I hope you like it. 🙂
I hadn’t planned on maintaining such an absence from this blog until now but for the past few days, I’ve been unable to log-in and it looks as though it’s a problem that has hit other WordPress users. But I’m here now; my fingers ready to share so many things and I feel it would be most convenient to share details of this weekend as it comes to a close.
Straying back in to the world of woodworking and workshops for a moment; this weekend was when I decided it was time to put the majority of my tools and equipment in to self storage!