For most of 2019, I was struggling to adapt to life inside a smaller bedroom and without sacrificing the generous accommodation of my double bed. That change may come in another couple of years, when my memory foam mattress nears the end of its recommended life expectancy (they generally say seven to eight years). When I moved in to my previous flat, I swiftly bought a 4ft high tallboy off Gumtree and those drawers gave me plenty of storage space for clothes. But I’ve struggled to accommodate both this and my poor man’s wardrobe (a clothes hanging rail) in my current place.
My decision was to downsize and, after weeks of online browsing and contemplation, I decided to return to Ikea (yes, I’m using that word again).
Since 2012, my collection of Ordnance Survey maps has steadily grown. They’d always lived within an unfashionable cardboard box, before I recently made an alternative solution from 12mm thick birch plywood.
This is a project that I completed in February of this year, although the official start date leaps back to the beginning of 2017, when I ‘sourced’ the materials from the off-cuts pile at the company I used to work for.
I hold to an intention and hope of finding a new workshop this year. I won’t even begin looking until these dark and chilly months have passed but, when the time does come and I’m physically able to walk through that door, I will be looking to add a few tools to my arsenal. If not immediately then, sensibly, over time.
Some of you may remember how, earlier this year – before the summer that appears to have come and gone so quickly – I erected a fairly straightforward freestanding, temporary fence to keep my mum’s puppy from wondering off along the shared driveway.
Inevitably, I was asked to do the same again alongside the garden to the rear of the property. This is a job I actually completed in July and, as I sit down to write about it now, I’d like to indicate that I had to make a couple of slight alterations for the same idea to function in its situation.
With many thanks to the administrator, Jonathan Rubinstien, I received an e-mail notification several weeks ago that a home-made blade-setting jig I’d created has also been featured on the HomemadeTools.net encyclopedia.
This may come as news to a lot of readers, as I don’t think I’ve mentioned it previously, but my mum and sister decided to welcome a new puppy in to their lives, a few weeks before Christmas.
His name is Billy and he’s a ‘Morkie’ (Maltese/Yorkshire Terrier-cross). Mum was asking about a temporary fence to cordon off the shared driveway. Because they live in rented accommodation as well, this needed to be a freestanding option.
I took some measurements, browsed around online and eventually came up with the following.
Wednesday 24th August 2016
During my time in Shropshire, I felt an urge to do and see as much as possible, within the four-nights and five-days of my stay.
Having walked around and explored Carding Mill Valley and the Long Mynd (see my previous two posts), I then drove north – away from the camp site – to explore an attraction that is currently maintained by English Heritage.