This is a thought that I’ve been carrying with me for several months now.
Since packing my workshop in to storage nearly three-years ago [Yikes! That long already?!], my interest in walking and hiking has grown to the point where it dominates a significant portion of my life, interests and mind. I’m the kind of person who struggles to balance multiple interests at once and can often plough ahead with one obsessively…
First, it was football. Growing a bit older and with college, next came woodworking. My passion for walking was already on the rise before vacating my last workshop but it’s clearly a front runner right now.
So, there’s a lot of content (eight-years worth, if I’m not mistaken) already on this blog. I’m not looking to ‘end’ these pages and certainly, I’d never delete them. But I have been thinking about a new space to dedicate my walking to.
It is September and summer’s gone. Winter will soon be here and that means I wouldn’t usually have long left before having to think about wrapping up and hibernation… This year, however, there’s one very big difference and it’s something I’ve touched on in the past. I think it was first mentioned at the beginning of 2013 but I’ve been almost avoiding it ever since, in the hope that it might not actually happen…
So, I’ve been living back at my mum’s house for over a year now and that’s also where my workshop is. I’m looking to move out again because I need my own space and she’s has thoughts of selling on her mind for a long while. If I go, she has to sell. If I stay, there’s no guarantee that I’ll be happy in my home life, which is perhaps the one part we should not neglect.
So, the piggy-in-the-middle here has go to be my workshop…
Some of you may recall the making of my workbench back in 2009. It wasn’t until several months later that I decided to make a plywood unit beneath to house three wide drawers for the storage of hand tools and other pieces. In truth, I was never entirely happy with the setup and, each winter, the drawer sides and fronts would swell and it would be an effort to get to the tools I wanted to use. Over time, this has led to the ‘collapse’ of the previous drawer bases (cheap, distorted 6mm plywood).
A few weeks ago; I took a look at the materials I had available and decided to tackle this issue properly.
As woodworkers, we never seem to have enough cramps, particularly the longer ‘sash’ variety, when it comes to assembling almost any project. At the same time, most woodworkers don’t like to throw away even the thinnest of slivers when it comes to sorting through their offcuts (yes, I know I like to keep plenty of “dowel blanks“…).
Well, here’s a potential solution that’ll kill both problems with one stone, which I found over on the Frugal Woodworking blog:
Such a simple solution and, for small scale edge jointing operations (perhaps only two or three boards at a time?), it seems to be effective. If you’re worried about the diagonal cramping and not getting pressure in all the right areas then, you could put another cramp on the underside, effectively creating an ‘X’-shape, if the timber boards were transparent. If you do make some of these cramps though, be sure to give all surfaces a good coating of wax – or else, you may find they end up sticking to your work as the glue cures!! 😉
Now, I remember why I used to hate working forty-hours a week – it leaves you with very little time (and energy) for woodworking – hence, why I haven’t had much to blog about for almost an entire month now. Working a mixed shift pattern of early mornings late evenings doesn’t help much, either. With money coming though, I’ve been able to stock up on materials for a few workshop improvements I’m planning to keep myself busy through the winter. This first one is a simple cabinet stand for my recently-acquired PK200 table saw. I also have plans to make a fit some new fences to my mitre saw and router table; while I’ve also decided I will make an MDF table for my pillar drill, even though Axminster sell something that costs only £50.